A Lovely Victorian Blue Glass Rolling or Sweetheart Pin
With some areas of the original paint still evident and with the original ribbon. These wonderful rolling pins were traditionally made in clear bottle glass, they were used to store salt and hung by the fire. Later they would be used to store tea. In the 1820’s sailors would give painted versions to their sweethearts before going to sea, they could be purchased as fairings decorated with gold or coloured enamels. They would be hung on walls as good luck tokens, only taken down when pastry was made for the celebration of a wedding feast, the pastry was believed to bring good fortune to all who ate it at the feast. When used as a rolling pin then it would have been filled with cold water to help in pastry making. Circa 1830. 36cm long.
Condition: The glass is in good condition. Most of the enamel paint is missing.
Please fill in the information below